O2 Network Story
Everyday 23 million people and 450,000 businesses trust O2 to keep them connected. They’re very proud of where they came from, and how they got here. O2 have invested £1 billion wisely in the last two years, in the places which are most important to their customers, building their award winning network.
Read below to find out about their history, achievements, and plans for the future.
We’re proud of our heritage:
- In 1994, we launched our 2G, GSM network – helping businesses to talk and text.
- The new millennium brought the first mobile data networks – GPRS and EDGE, allowing businesses to do more, faster.
- In 2002, we became O2 and launched 3G to our customers. This enabled even faster mobile connection to the web, allowing new opportunities for customers to work in different ways.
- In 2006, we joined Telefonica, one of the world’s largest fully integrated telecommunication providers. This expanded our knowledge, capability and reach.
- 2007 – Apple chose O2 to exclusively launch their first iPhone, making us the first true home of the smartphone.
- Over the next few years, we continued to innovate, making our 3G faster and faster as we launched High Speed Packet Access (HSPA), HSPA+, HSPA+ Duel Carrier, giving speeds of up to 42Mbps.
- In 2010, we were the first to launch u900 in the UK, bringing better in-building and rural coverage. UK operator to install six sector capacity-boosting technology on our network.
- We were trusted to cover the 16,000 members of the Olympic family at the London 2012 Summer Olympics.
- In 2013, we reached our 90% 3G coverage Ofcom commitment., and started to roll out the 4th Generation (4G), empowering our customers to be more on the move.
Customers are using 100% more data than 12 months ago. With this exponential increase in demand, improving our award-winning network is our priority. We are doing this by:
- Modernising our 2G, 3G networks while rolling out 4G for broader data coverage.
- Investing around £2 million in our network every day to deliver an improved customer experience – more resilient, more reliable, faster.
- Investing over £3 billion in our network by the end of 2017.
4G is transforming business through our fastest ever rollout. Our rollout started in August 2013 in London, Leeds and Bradford and by the end of that year we’d hit around 30% of the population (indoor coverage). Our 4G network now covers nearly two-thirds of the UK population (61%*) in 408 towns and cities creating new opportunities for customers to use their devices and business apps.
We’re the first and only UK operator to achieve the CAS(T) certification for mobile, voice and data services, means we’re trusted to operate to an interdependently assessed government standard – our network is secure, resilient and robust.
Innovative ways to connect
- O2 Wifi – Have unlimited access to data, with over 10,00002 Wifi Hotspots. It’s free for all O2 customers to use, and auto-logon will automatically connect you when your phone is in range. Our new Wifi Extra proposition intelligently connects customers to the most relevant network to their immediate needs.
- TU Go – Phone out of action? TU Go is a free app that lets you use your O2 number to call, text and pick up voicemails on any smartphone, tablet or laptop. TU Go connects to our network via wifi, so you can even use it to make calls when you’re abroad, avoiding roaming charges. Not currently available for mobex customers
- Boostbox – Have excellent network coverage where you need it most. Boostbox connects to your broadband router to give you the best 3G signal at home or in the office – even in a spot where you might not usually have reception.
Our future is exciting
Our investment in all of our networks is unprecedented – by 2017 we will have invested over £3 billion in upgrading our 3G network and continuing to grow our 4G network, bringing 4G to more businesses.
Also, we’re the only operator commited to a regulartory requirement of reaching 98% indoor and outdoor population coverage by 2017.
If you would like to learn more about what O2 can do for your business, please touch with us by calling: 0845 606 1000 or email email@example.com